Make your own Sauerkraut!
- Cut a cabbage (approx. 1 kilo) into quarters and remove the tough core and base.
- Cut the cabbage pieces into thin strips and put it in a mixing bowl with the kraut mix.
- Knead the krautmix firmly into the cabbage for a few minutes until moisture is released.
- Place the seasoned cabbage and the natural moisture in the pot in small batches.
- Push the cabbage firmly down until the moisture covers it.
- Open the red cap of the airlock and fill with water until the bulbs are half full.
- Push the lid onto the pot and insert the airlock through the hole in the lid.
- Let the cabbage ferment for 6 to 8 weeks at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
- Remove the lid from the jar and taste with a clean fork whether the taste is to your liking.
Serve immediately, keep in the fridge with a clean lid or let it ferment further to your optimum taste.
Serve your sauerkraut tossed in a salade, as a side dish, or with mashed potatoes (=the classic Dutch zuurkoolstamppot). You cab use your empty RotPot for your next experiment!